Frequently Asked Questions

General Topics

(Property taxes, street lights, water/sewer, roads)

What is a MUD?

A Municipal Utility District is a political subdivision of the State. It is governed by Chapters 49 and 54 of the Texas Water Code. The Ranch at Cypress Creek Municipal Utility District provides drainage, landscaping and restrictive covenant service services, and also contracts with the City of Cedar Park to provide water and wastewater services and for fire protection services. The MUD also has the authority to undertake certain right-of-way beautification projects, and to enforce restrictive covenants.

Who is the Board?

The Board of Directors is composed of five members, who are elected by the residents of the MUD. All of the Board members reside or own property within the MUD. Elections are held in May of even-numbered years, and Board members serve four-year, staggered terms. Click on the “Contacts” button of this website to see a list of the current Board members.

What is MUD property tax used for?

Anything allowed by State law, specifically Chapters 49 and 54 of the Texas Water Code, which includes MUD operations, maintenance, and bond payments. Financials are in the regular monthly board meeting packets found on the website.

Can you give me more property tax detail?

The Debt Service portion of the tax can only be used for the bond debt that the MUD has issued to pay for the water and wastewater infrastructure. The Maintenance and Operations (M&O) portion of the tax is used for everything else.

Fund balances from M&O can be transferred to Debt Service, but not the other way around because, by Texas state law, taxes collected for debt can only be used for debt. Also, the MUD’s Debt Service obligations will soon start to decrease.

The street light is not working, whom do I call?

Please report street light outages to MUD Street Light Committee member Gary Riffle: email

What City of Cedar Park amenities may I use?

Because of the MUD’s fire protection agreement with the City of Cedar Park, the Cedar Park pools, library, and recreation facilities are available to MUD residents at the same rates and fee schedules as those charged to residents of the City.

How are residential water and wastewater lines maintained?

Residents maintain the lines between the meter and the house, and inside the house.

Through the current contract between the MUD and Cedar Park, the City maintains the water and wastewater lines that run throughout the neighborhood that are on the “street” side of the residential meters. The MUD’s landscaping waterlines that run along Sun Chase and elsewhere are maintained by the MUD.

Who built the roads in the MUD?

The original developer built the roads while building the houses, and, depending on location, conveyed the roads to Williamson County or Travis County. Therefore, these Counties now own and maintain the roads.

Who do I contact if I have road maintenance concerns?

Please contact the appropriate County (Williamson or Travis) if you have road concerns, since they are responsible for road maintenance within the MUD.

Restrictive Covenant and Enforcement Topics

What are restrictive covenants?

Restrictive covenants apply to a group of homes and property that are part of a specific development, or ‘subdivision.’ They are normally put in place by the original developer. Their purpose is to maintain property values and to make our neighborhood a nicer looking and more pleasant place to live.

Restrictive covenants are created by separate document, which is recorded before any property in a subdivision is conveyed. They are contractual obligations that are assumed by each property owner at the time they purchase their home.

Has the MUD always enforced restrictive covenants?

No. The MUD was formerly chartered as a WCID (Water Control Improvement District), which did not have the power to enforce covenants. In December 1999, in response to the request of residents who specifically wanted the District to enforce the restrictive covenants, the WCID was converted to a MUD by order of the Texas Natural Resource Conservation Commission. A MUD has the authority to enforce restrictive covenants, and now regular inspections are conducted by the MUD’s covenant administrator.

Why is the MUD charged with the duty of enforcing covenants?

The MUD enforces covenants in order to maintain property values, and to preserve the MUD’s tax base. Many areas of the MUD do not have mandatory Home Owners Associations, and there is no other funded entity with the ability to enforce the covenants in those areas.

Who is paying Management 360 Services to patrol the MUD?

The MUD pays Management 360 Services with funds from the M&O budget, which is funded through property tax revenues. Therefore, all of the property owners in the MUD share in the cost of enforcement.

Does Management 360 Services have the authority to take a photo of my property?

Yes, Management 360 Services is an independent contractor, which has been hired by the MUD to perform inspections and administer the MUD’s covenant enforcement policy. The MUD has the authority to enforce restrictive covenants under Chapter 54 of the Texas Water Code.

Who is the board or committee that developed the restrictive covenants?

The original developers established the restrictive covenants for each section within the MUD. The restrictive covenants were recorded before any of the homes in each section were sold to homeowners, and apply to all of the property in a specific section.

Why is each section different?

Different sections in the MUD were developed at different times, and sometimes by different developers. Each developer utilized its own preferred set of covenants, resulting in variations in the covenants from section to section.

What is the big deal about trash cans?

The Board, as well as many residents, believes that having trash cans out in the public view adversely affects the appearance of the neighborhood and, therefore, property values.

How are restrictive covenant violations handled?

The Board established a uniform policy to deal with covenant violations in cost-effective manner. That policy is followed in dealing with violations, whether the violation is a trash can that has been left out or another type of violation. The goal is to encourage voluntary compliance in order to make the neighborhood a nice place for all of us to live.

What is the appeal process?

If you believe you have received a violation letter that was not warranted, you may contact Management 360 Services at (512) 677-7998. You are also invited to attend any meeting of the Board. Citizens’ communications are taken at the beginning and at the end of each meeting. The Board’s meeting dates and agendas are posted in advance on the MUD’s outdoor kiosks and on this website.

I never received a copy of the restrictive covenants. How do I obtain a copy?

You may obtain a copy of the restrictive covenants applicable to your property from the title company that closed your home purchase. The covenants may have been included with closing documents when you purchased your home. For your convenience, copies of the restrictive covenants are also included on the MUD’s website.